Saturday, January 12, 2008

lunch hour scribbles

This is becoming a trend, sitting alone in a dark corner of the library, every lunch hour, trying to scribble down something coherent in my dog-eared notebook.

Have I mentioned that I'm a tad antisocial, well, not exactly anti social (not in the true sense of the word anyway), I'm just not too comfortable with meeting new people or rather a large bunch of new people, especially, say at a party..which is sort of the reason I detest large crowds of people and partying and loud music and inane small talk. Anyway, I totally digressed..that was not the point I was trying to make. I was going to say that me being antisocial is not the reason I'm subjecting myself to this isolation. Its actually because I'm trying to avoid the extremely tempting but completely unhealthy canteen samosas, which, even though aren't in front of me, I'm dreaming of..in all their 'potatoeee' goodness (and the half a bottle of ketchup that I evidently cannot eat a samosa without!) Ok all this samosa talk is making my tummy rumble, so I better shut up.

The samosas aren't the only reason I find myself in the library though, I've noticed that sitting in the library also puts me in the writing mood; a mood, I always, most want to be in, but unfortunately never find myself in. Being surrounded by books is an added bonus, they seem awfully comforting in a weird way. That magic I used to experience when opening up a book suddenly seems to have disappeared, so I'm on a quest to try and bring it back. The past year and a half, college has taken over my life and left me very little time to catch up on my reading. The grand total of books read in 2007 was 3 (three!!!) which is quite pathetic when compared to my usual 40 books a year average! I was sorta disappointed in myself when I noticed the change because I always prided myself on being a bookworm, not of the nerdy breed, just of the general 'fiction-reading-romance-loving' breed.

I still can't do without reading, ergo, the number of blogs I subscribe to, but I still miss curling up with the good book. Its kinda hard to do that with a laptop.

That similarity you just happen to find with one of the characters of a book or that bittersweet feeling you get when you get to the last few pages of a book is terribly missed, but what can you do..life is moving at such break-neck speed that finding sometime to read even a few pages may totally ruin the momentum at which everything else is going. Or not. I'm just too much of a lazy bum to find out.

Anyhoo (he he, I've always wanted to say anyhoo, but it always made me giggle), lunch hour is almost up and I have to go find my next class. So until next time my little children, hopefully I would have read a book by then, so I'll have something new to talk to you about instead of boring you to death by being my usual random self.

--Written on 11th, Friday.

19 comments:

Vadapoche said...

Hmm nice post! Btw you are tagged!

Renovatio said...

Any bits from those writing-mood days to share?

Anonymous said...

Ah great, now I need to go find samosas somewhere. :|

Anyhow, I believe that you can't always survive on the healthy things. You should go eat the unhealthy stuff once in a while because it makes your taste buds happy and improves immunity. Who knows one day the world will be infected and the only thing that can be eaten is unhealthy samosas? You'll regret that you don't have the digestive juices for them because you never tried them earlier. Okay, the "I Am Legend" thing seems to be getting to my head. But it's a neat point, you've got to admit that.

I didn't read any book except HP and the Deathly Hallows in 2007. I never found the time because of the super busy routine. Just like you, the only thing I've been readings is course books and blogs. I might try and catch up on it later. But the way you make college sound, I'm sure I'm gonna have to wait like 7-8 years before I get to start reading and living like a human being again.

The Keeper of the Keys said...

ah...Lovely Post. And i was fretting that i was the only one around who found books comforting. I'm not sure if I've ever read 40 in any year (except at the age of 6, when i was hooked to Pinki)
I think 30 is a nice, safe figure?

But the thing is, if there are books around me, I'm usually too tempted to read them, that I don't have any 'Writing mood' at all.
Maybe, now I'll get inspired and take out time from my 'hectic' college schedule to read, and know that someone else is doing it too, and not feel guilty.

Anonymous said...

40 per year is a great achievement btw! and yes 3 per year wud seem to be pathetic ..go for more! Do u have a collection of books...?

Titash said...

Loved the post, loved the blog template more..I believe you edit the archive page manually! Except that yours is the first true tab template in blogger!

Kriti said...

Ooh I your kinda bookworm too :) And yeah there's nothing like curling up with a good book at the end of a busy day...don't worry, I'm sure this year will be betta for you book-wise! That's one thing I love about my major (literature)..even when I'm studying it doesn't seem like I'm studying at all :)

Keshi said...

Im no bookworm...u can call me a blogworm tho LOL!

Keshi.

Lavanya said...

Nothing quite like a good book, anyday.
Very fun to read post. :)
Now I'm craving samosas too.
:P

busy-writer said...

lovely template! freshhhhhhh, yess! :D

Love Bites said...

You've been reviewed, sweetie.

Try not to cry. ;)

Unknown said...

i love to curl up with a good book. i agree it's harder to find that with a laptop, although i'm very attached to mine. i wish i could marry it and have little computer babies. haha

Sneha P said...

i'd stopped following ur blog...u've been away really long...
awsome template....

Amandeep Singh said...

Hey lemonade
how have ya been!
A very happe new year to u!

Nice read.. I know..My reading was like all time low during last 3 yrs in college. Trying to pick it these days!
Hope u pick it up fast tooo!

Zee said...

even i'm antisocial....i HATE office parties and large social gatherings where people expect u to be as excitable upon seeing them or expect u to stretch out ur hand and introduce urself and start talking about the weather...or worse...the stock market!

the last time i really really read was in class 8..the sweet valley series....hence won't comment on the rest of the post! :)

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about the sort of antisocial thing. I dislike huge crowds of people I don't really know, but I go to parties anyway! What better way to get over a fear then to throw yourself amongst what scares you!

Have you read any of the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer? If not, you totally should...whenever you get the time that is!

Anonymous said...

@jolly roger
thanks! :) will get to it!

@renovatio
no, sadly...

@ish
lol..believe me ish, i eat way more unhealthy food than is allowed by any kinds of measure.
dont worry, if you actually start making time you will be able to get in a few books every year. i'm just lazy :P

@lost weasley
shit i'm so glad that someone out there finds books comforting to. maybe we should all start some sorta club to get us to read more! :)

@anoop
as a matter of fact, i do! :)

@titash
thank you! :) but i know of a few more tabbed templates in blogger

@nags
:)

@wild iris
you lucky bum..though i dont have anything to study for college..its still alot of work!

@kesh
Viva forever - The blog of a blogworm!

that would make a cool tag line! :)

@coco
:) me too! even though i had like 3 today!

@gunj
thanks! :)

@busy writer
thanks !

@lovebites
thank you! i appreciate it!

@cinn
lol..me too! though this laptop isn't mine!

@vitruvian
i was..but i'm back now :)

@standby mind
i hope so too man :) and happy new year!

@zee
tell me about it..i was addicted to the sweet valley series..i even have a post on it somewhere on the blog!

@sarcastica
really? i should get myself a copy of that..

humbl devil said...

did you know that potatoes, boiled are one of the best foods...
as they are complex carbs, they dont load much fat...not unless fried...
so roasted and boiled is good...


p.s.
i just had a plate of samosas for dinner
>:P

humbl devil said...

it's pity that votin's already closed...
would have def voted for ya kiddo..